Web Page DIY for Casual Users

Monday, December 19, 2005

Bloglines

Most of the standard Blogger templates has a sample list of Blog sites that you can link to, under the heading of LINKS. The list is called a Blogroll. You can maintain your blogroll by editing the template. As you know, working with template is not as easy as creating new postings. I have come across two tools that help maintaining blogrolls, and I would not hesitate to recommend Bloglines. For an introduction of Bloglines, please refer to the About Bloglines page.

Bloglines is a very feature rich toolset, but I'll just touch on its Blogroll feature in this posting. My Blogroll list has about 20 items. Compared to those maintained by many other bloggers, this list is very humble. Still, I think maintaining the 20 items in the side bar is not that desirable. The good thing is that I have found Bloglines to be so useful that nowadays, I browse my blogroll sites with the My Feeds Bloglines page rather than from my blogs. My Feeds lets me create folders for the Blog roll so that I can better organize my Blogroll list. More importantly, the Blogroll is very frequently updated in My Feeds page to show the number of new postings that have not been browsed. Once I browse a site's new postings, the number would automatically be reset. Another advantage is that if I view other blogs from My Feeds page, the time it takes to display the blog is much less than if I go directly to the site, because only the updated postings will be shown instead of the entire blog. The increase in efficiency is a benefit of the RSS or atom feeds that have become very popular on the web BTW, each Blog built by Blogger already has a atom feed automatically set up, so that it is as easy as clicking a few buttons to let your postings be subscribed to.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home