Web Page DIY for Casual Users

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Back Up Your Blog Template(s)

Blogger has a collection of standard templates that you can choose from, and I have tried most of them. You can switch between templates for any given Blog, and they work well with your posts. I use different templates on my Blogs to make them a little more interesting, and to match with the theme of my Blogs.

Before you use any tool that requires adding code to your template, I strongly advise you to make back up copies. While Blogger allows you to cancel your template editing, it does not allow you to fall back to previous template versions. So it is up to you to safe guard your template(s). Trust me. If you are not familiar with HTML, it pays to do a back up every time before you edit your template.

The way I back up my template is:

  1. Click on the Template tab to start the edit session
  2. Make a selection of the entire contents
  3. Open a NotePad
  4. Paste the copy to the NotePad
  5. Save the contents to a file with the Blog Title is file name
  6. Email the file to myself so that I have a disk version and a email version of backup copies, and email allows me to keep multiple versions without bothering about version numbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home